Saturday, June 21, 2008

Action for this week: eat walnuts instead of fish!




































Almost everytime I walk along Lake Ferry Beach I find myself angered by the fish which have obviously been thrown out of nets and discarded, left to die in clusters along the beach.




















On a recent walk these were the fish I found.
The beautiful brown shark was still able to move and look at me but unfortunately it was too far gone. When I put it back in the water it just washed ashore.




The night before our visit there had been news of a company being prosecuted for common, but difficult to prove, mass dumping of fish.












The use of extremely long, fine gauge nets and huge banks of lights at night contribute to the huge losses of fish stock. Eating tinned fish is the other end of the chain.

I grew up in the Queen Charlotte Sounds, New Zealand, where we would feed groper as big as a person. These fish are well gone now; fished out.







Omega 3 is touted as the miracle food and we are told to get it from deep sea fish. Omega 3 is available in walnuts which you can get as an oil as well as the nut form.

No comments:

Blurr Paints

Blurr Paints
Rainy Grey

Weber Circus Spires

Weber Circus Spires
Masterton, Queen Elizabeth Park 24.5.2008